Water management plan audits
Auditing water management plans to ascertain whether their provisions are being given effect to
The Commission has a role under Section 44 of the Water Management Act 2000 to audit water management plans within the first five years of each plan to ascertain whether their provisions are being given effect to.
The water management plans comprise:
- Water sharing plans - statutory documents that establish the rules for sharing water between the environment and other water users.
- Floodplain management plans - provide the framework for coordinating flood work development to minimise future changes to flooding behaviour, and for increasing awareness of risk to life and property from flooding.
The Commission is undertaking limited assurance audits in accordance with the following Australian standards:
- Standard on Assurance Engagements ASAE 3000: Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information
- Standard on Assurance Engagements ASAE 3100: Compliance Engagements
- Auditing Standard ASQC 1: Quality Control for Firms that Perform Audits and Reviews of Financial Reports and Other Financial Information, and Other Assurance Engagements.
Our auditors abide by the Commission’s code of ethics and conduct. Key to how we operate are the following ethical requirements: integrity, objectivity, professional competence and due care, confidentiality and professional behaviour.
The Commission’s role commenced on 1 December 2018 under changes to the Water Management Act 2000. The Commission’s audit approach is described in the audit framework.
At the commencement of each group of audits, the Commission may seek feedback on its preliminary audit scopes. There is no consultation underway at present.
Final audit scopes for current audits:
|Water management plan||Audit due|
|Brunswick Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Clarence Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Clyde River Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Deua River Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Hunter Regulated River 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Macleay Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|North Coast Coastal Sands Groundwater 2016||Map||June 2021|
|North Coast Fractured and Porous Rock Groundwater 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Snowy Genoa Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|South Coast Groundwater 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Tuross River Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||June 2021|
|Nambucca Unregulated and Alluvial 2016||Map||Sep 2021|
These audits have been submitted to the Minister for Water, Property and Housing, and will be published shortly on this website.
The Commission will be updating this webpage as the audits progress. If you would like to receive updates on the progress of audits, you can sign up to the Mailing list.